Why Is Having Straight Teeth Important?
Having straighter teeth can improve your facial appearance and confidence. A person who is self-conscious about their smile will tend to smile with lips closed together or with their hand covering the mouth, which can come across as awkward.
Speech and eating may be improved after braces treatment with straight teeth as braces not only straighten teeth but improve how the teeth fit together as well.
What Treatments are Available to Straighten My Teeth?
- Traditional Metal braces move teeth using wires and metal brackets bonded to your teeth and held in place with colourful rubber bands. These braces are the most commonly seen, especially in young children and teenagers. However, this is usually the most painful option as the metal parts of the braces can rub against and cut the gums,lips and cheeks.
- Damon clear Ceramic braces are also available that blend into your tooth colour. Newer types of braces such as Damon do not have rubber bands around the braces, which tend to trap food and bacteria, and so are easier to keep clean after meals.
Damon self-ligating braces are a revolutionary shift in braces treatment, with many advantages over traditional braces, more comfortable, less pain and much shorter treatment time, even for complex cases.
- Invisalign. These transparent aligners which are virtually invisible allow you to smile with confidence. Invisalign is able to offer a more aesthetically pleasing for teeth straightening treatment compared to the traditional metal braces. The clear aligner trays are almost invisible, therefore it is the preferred option for people who want to look good and present a professional image.
- Ceramic Veneers. Veneers are custom made to suit the shape, size, and colour (shade) of your face. Different teeth shapes will impart a different personality to the smile. These are thin shells of ceramic that are adhered to the tooth on the front.
- Crown. On a tooth that has been heavily damaged due to root canal treatments and large cavities, The crown restores both structure and strength that have been compromised by chips and cracks.
- Dental implants. For missing teeth or gaps, a dental implant is a great option to restore the gap. This is a very small but strong post which replaces a missing tooth. Properly done, it can look absolutely natural like the neighbouring teeth.
Which Treatment is Suitable for Me?
Orthodontic teeth straightening, which refers to any type of braces or Invisalign, is usually appropriate for the majority of cases where teeth straightening is desired. The teeth that are in a poor position, perhaps due to overcrowding, or poor bite, can be moved into their proper position to result in a beautiful and natural smile.
In cases when there is minimal crowding of the teeth, or if the current shape and the size of the teeth is not proportionate to the facial aesthetics, then crowns or veneers can be done instead.
Generally speaking, a crown is done if the teeth are decayed or a root canal procedure has been carried out, resulting in not enough material left for the dentist to place a veneer.
Veneers are approximately 0.5-1mm in thickness, and used on the outer tooth surface. This means your original structure is kept intact as much as possible. This saves you money in the long run. The material is placed with the shape of your smile in mind.
- Us7077647b2 - Systems and Methods For Treatment Analysis By Teeth Matching
- Orthodontic Treatment with a Series Of Removable Appliances
David Chenin-Andrew Trosien-Patricia Fong-Robert Miller-Rodney Lee - (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0002817714650881)
- How Well Does Invisalign Work? A Prospective Clinical Study Evaluating the Efficacy Of Tooth Movement with Invisalign
Neal Kravitz-Budi Kusnoto-Ellen BeGole-Ales Obrez-Brent Agran - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19121497)
- The Rationale, Evolution and Clinical Application Of the Self‐ligating Bracket
D.H. Damon - (https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/ocr.19188.8.131.52)
- Initial Arch Wires For Tooth Alignment During Orthodontic Treatment with Fixed Appliances - Jian, F - 2013: Cochrane Library
Jian-Wenli Lai-Susan Furness-Grant McIntyre-Declan Millett-Joy Hickman-Yan Wang - (https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD007859.pub3/abstract)
- Self-ligating Versus Invisalign: Analysis Of Dento-alveolar Effects
Chiara Pavoni-Roberta Lione-Giuseppina Laganà-Paola Cozza - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3254387/)